Peaceful campus location, just nine minutes by train from Brighton
Sussex is a leading research university that delivers powerful results
You will learn from award-winning teachers and use modern facilities
Make your future at Sussex
The opportunity to learn at Sussex gives you the opportunity to change the world. Since our foundation in 1961, we’ve been at the forefront of change – we’ve pushed for development and demanded more, creating a better future for individuals and communities around the world.
Our impressive rankings speak for themselves. Sussex is ranked in the top 20 in all three major UK league tables:
- 18th in the UK, The Times and The Sunday Times University Guide 2017
- 18th in the UK, The Complete University Guide (CUG) 2017
- 20th in the UK, The Guardian University Guide 2017
- 149th in the world, Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016-17.
Research that makes a difference
At Sussex, we believe that research is the pathway to progress. Our research is internationally recognised for drawing together leading academics from different disciplines – an approach that delivers the most powerful and meaningful results.
- 75 per cent of our research activity is considered ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
Teaching that counts
At Sussex you will learn from some of the best university teachers and researchers in the UK, who work at the forefront of their fields.
- Three Nobel Prize winners and one prestigious Crafoord Prize winner have taught at Sussex.
- 16 Academicians of the Social Sciences, 14 Fellows of the Royal Society, 12 Fellows of the British Academy and nine Fellows of the Academy of Medical Sciences teach at Sussex.
- Six teachers have been recognised for their outstanding efforts with the HE Academy National Teaching Fellowship Scheme awards.
Location that inspires
The University of Sussex campus offers a unique combination of tranquility and energy. We are surrounded by a beautiful national park, yet at the same time we are a short train journey from Brighton. Brighton has fantastic transport links, so you'll easily be able to explore the rest of the UK and Europe.
- Campus to Brighton: nine minutes by train
- Brighton to Gatwick Airport: 30 minutes by train
- Brighton to central London: 1 hour by train.