International Study Centre

Join us on campus

The friendly and diverse student community will welcome you

The friendly and diverse student community will welcome you to Sussex

We're looking forward to welcoming you

We are really looking forward to welcoming you to the International Study Centre. When you join us on campus, you will benefit from a high-quality blended learning experience ensuring you get the best of both worlds: with some classes taking place face-to-face, and some activities taking place online.

Here to support you

From visa application through to booking accommodation, you’ll be fully supported by our dedicated team every step of the way. We’ll support you with:

  • What to pack
  • Planning for your arrival
  • Visa
  • Accommodation
  • How to make the most of your time with us

Studying in Centre

When you join us on campus, it is important that you are able to regularly attend your face-to-face classes as this is a UK visa requirement. To help with this, please ensure you choose accommodation which is within one hour travel time of the International Study Centre.

You will learn through a mixture of as many live teacher-led classes as possible, as well as interactive activities and resources delivered in a virtual learning environment.

As some lessons will be taught online, you will need to have a PC or Mac based computer. If you do not have access to equipment, please let us know so that we can support you.


While it is possible to access and interact with most course content using various tablets and smartphones, such as iPads, iPhones and Android devices, these devices will not work for assessments and therefore it is important that you have a PC or Mac based computer available for use.


  • Any Microsoft Windows based PC (laptop or desktop, preferably running Windows 10)
  • Web Browser: Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge (Chromium version)
  • Webcam
  • Microphone
  • Installation of Zoom for Virtual Classroom


  • Any Apple MacOS based laptop or desktop
  • Web Browser: Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge (Chromium version)
  • Webcam
  • Microphone
  • Installation of Zoom for Virtual Classroom

Internet Connection

Internet connectivity is required for access to all coursework. Internet connectivity could be in the form of a fixed line connection, 3G/4G/5G, wi-fi or other technologies.

Minimum: 600kbps download and 600kbps upload speed.

Recommended: at least 1.5Mbps download and 1.5Mbps upload speed.

A VLE is a virtual learning environment, the online hub for your programme. Here, you will find recorded lessons, collaboration tools, helpful materials, and more.

Essential items for students enrolling on the following Film and Media related courses:

If you are unable to travel to the UK for the start of the first term and you are starting your studies virtually from home, you will need to purchase a number of items that are essential to completing your course. If you are starting your course in-centre, this equipment will be supplied to you.

As well as being essential to your International Study Centre course, these items will be of use throughout your chosen Media degree at the University of Sussex. They will also be extremely helpful for creating your own personal media projects and online content. There are lots of opportunities outside of the International Study Centre where you will be able to use your training and equipment to good effect.

Below, we have written a guide of necessary items, as well as items that would be beneficial but are not essential to complete your course. You can source this equipment from your own country, and choose brands and models of your choice.

Essential items (for smartphone photo/sound/video production)

  • Smartphone Tripod Mount
  • Tripod - Full size (additional mini tripod optional)
  • Microphone (Lavalier/Clip Microphone for smartphones)
  • Fur Windshield for Lavalier Microphone
  • Smartphone video rig

Additional recommended items

You may already have some of these and wish to use them. We can provide training so you can make the most of your equipment.

  • DSLR Camera (Various models)
  • DSLR Camera mini shotgun video mic
  • Mini Tripod
  • Smartphone Gimbal

We have planned for a number of scenarios should government regulations and requirements change at any stage meaning we can’t deliver courses on campus as intended.

Your experience, education, safety and welfare will always be our number one priority, and our centres already have additional health and safety measures in place, as well as experienced teachers and support staff - offering one to one support at every stage.

Should any social distancing restrictions be introduced, we would make all appropriate changes to the ISC, for example through the introduction of one-way systems and updated signage and rules in the centre. This would of, course, limit the amount of students we can accommodate for face-to-face teaching, so you may need to undertake more of you studies online during any period of social distancing. This will be clearly communicated to you by the ISC staff and our teaching and welfare teams will be there to fully support any transition of learning delivery you may have.

In the event restriction are introduced which means we are unable to deliver any face to face teaching for any period of time during you studies, you learning will be delivered completely online while this is the case. Delivered through a virtual learning environment, you'll remain part of an engaging international community online where you will experience different cultures and make new friends.

While we hope for no significant changes during your time with us, we have an experienced team who have dealt with these restrictions previously and will make sure you will experience the same level of exceptional, high-quality teaching regardless of whether you study virtually or face to face. Academic guidance, tutorial sessions, careers support and personal and welfare support is all available virtually from the same specialist staff. Where necessary you’ll be part of a community of students, connected through live classes, discussion groups, and online social events and activities where needed and we’ll be here to support you every step of the way.

Safety on campus

At University of Sussex International Study Centre, we are committed to enabling our students to make the most of studying abroad in a safe and supportive environment. You will not only receive academic guidance; our extensive pastoral team can help with everything from homesickness to accommodation.

Assuring the safety and wellbeing of our student and staff communities, as well as providing a quality blended learning experience, is at the heart of all of our planning and decision-making. By listening to your feedback and by following guidance provided by the government, public health authorities and the University, we have put the following measures in place to help you feel confident ahead of arriving on campus:

  • Risk assessments of all our International Study Centre buildings
  • Hand sanitisers in all our International Study Centre spaces
  • Face coverings are available to you
  • Regular deep cleaning for all our buildings

We will continue to monitor and review all the safety and wellbeing measures throughout the coming months.

Keeping you safe on campus

Preparing to study abroad

Before you arrive at the University of Sussex International Study Centre, you need to complete all the tasks in our pre-arrival checklist. Contact us with any questions.

If you applied directly through us, your Student Enrolment Advisor can answer any questions you have. They can offer advice on living in the UK and support you with organising airport transfers on arrival to the UK. We will also provide you with pre-arrival reading and preparation materials so you are fully prepared for your study abroad adventure (selected courses only).

Before you arrive in the UK

  1. Confirm your offer. Check your fees to see what you have to pay in order to accept your offer and get your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number.
  2. Apply for a visa. You will need your CAS number to apply. Take the UK visas questionnaire to find out which type of visa you need and visit our visa information page.
  3. Book your accommodation. We have a range of great accommodation options to choose from. You can find your new home on our accommodation page. If you are booking your own accommodation, you must be within a 60 minute commute of the Centre.
  4. Book your flights. Gatwick Airport is the closest airport to the International Study Centre, only half an hour away by train.
  5. Complete your pre-arrival form. We will email you a link to the online form one month before the start of your course.
  6. Get insurance. It is essential that you have personal insurance when studying in the UK. Organise your insurance with Study Group.
  7. Arrive on time. You should aim to arrive at your accommodation up to two days before the start of term ready to start your induction programme.

Why not starting making friends at the International Study Centre before you land in the UK? Join our Facebook community and meet your new classmates.

Student life in Brighton has something for everyone. To help you settle in, we will organise social events where you can meet your new teachers and classmates. You can also get involved with sports, societies and groups at the University of Sussex, or go along to student events taking place on campus.

You can buy everything you need in one of the shops on campus or in the nearby city of Brighton.

Important items should be packed in your hand luggage, especially:

  • your passport and visa
  • UKVI decision letter
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies letter (CAS)
  • your offer letter
  • IELTS certificate or other original Secure English Language Test result
  • evidence of funding for your tuition fees and living costs, including your sponsor letter (if you are being sponsored)
  • accommodation documents, including your signed tenancy agreement
  • medical certificates (including vaccination records)
  • a copy of your UK guardian's details (if you are under the age of 18).

Information if you are currently studying with us in 2021-22

If you are issued a CAS to study in the UK, you can arrive on-campus in the UK at any time until 30 June 2022. If you wish to complete your studies online, and your programme ends after 30 June 2022 you will need to follow the application process as set out here and if approved you can complete your studies online. However, if you do not apply or are not approved for this, you will need to arrive on-campus in the UK before 30 June 2022.

No, once you have applied and been approved to complete your course online you will not be able to apply for another CAS and travel to the UK for face-to-face studies for your pathway. You will be able to apply for your next visa and commence studies in the UK as normal for your progression degree at University of Sussex.

Yes, providing it is a Study Group issued CAS and you are not on an Integrated CAS, you will be able to apply and if successful the CAS will be withdrawn. This will not affect CAS application for your future studies at University of Sussex when you progress.

What will your first week be like?

When you join us on campus, you’ll benefit from an induction programme to help you settle in and make friends.

Frequently asked questions on joining us on campus

What facilities are available on campus?Visit our student life pages to find out more about what to expect on campus.
What should I do if I need support when I arrive in the UK?Once you confirm your place we will send you a link to our Welcome Hub which will have all the information you need ahead of your move to the UK, including emergency contact numbers.
Can I arrange a taxi from the airport?We can arrange a pick-up from the airport. Once you have confirmed your place, you will receive a link to our Welcome Hub and your Pre-Registration form. You need to provide your details and can request a transfer via the form and book directly online. Visit fees to find out about the cost of a transfer.
What should I do if I am in the UK and I need health advice or welfare support?

If you show the symptoms of COVID-19 then you should follow official UK medical advice. You should also contact the International Study Centre for further information.

View the government’s advice on what to do if you are displaying symptoms of the coronavirus.

What should I do if I am in the UK and need medical care?

If you are coming to the UK to study for 6 months or longer on a Student visa, you will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of your visa application fee.

The immigration health surcharge will entitle students in the UK under the Student visa route to access NHS care at no additional cost in the same way as a permanent UK resident. The National Health Service (NHS) provides a wide range of health care services including:

  • Registration with a GP practice (family doctor) for non-urgent appointments and health checks. You will receive information about how to register with a doctor when you arrive. Once you have registered with a GP you will be eligible for the Covid-19 vaccination programme.
  • Emergency care in local hospitals
  • Referrals to specialists if and when required (waiting lists may apply depending on the urgency of the problem)
  • On-going medical support and care for any long term medical conditions such as diabetes or asthma

Not all treatments are covered by the NHS. For example; non-emergency dentistry, orthodontics, routine eye tests and prescriptions for medicines need to be paid for.

If you are studying in the UK for less than 6 months on a short term study visa, you are not required to pay the health surcharge as part of your visa application and are therefore not eligible for full NHS support. In these circumstances, you are advised to take out medical insurance as you will be liable for NHS charges for the treatment you receive in the UK except for in a medical emergency. If you already have medical insurance in your home country, you may wish to check whether this can be extended to cover your stay in the UK.

When should I arrive?You must arrive in the UK, on campus, by your programme start date, and be ready to attend your Induction programme on the first day of term.
What happens during the induction programme?

Our induction programme will introduce you to your Centre, our staff, and welfare and support services. You will also receive full guidance on maintaining your health and safety whilst studying in the UK.

You will find out about your timetable, as well as important information about how we deliver your course through a mixture of classroom teaching and virtual learning There will also be events to help you get to know your fellow students.

Some of the Induction activities may take place with our staff in the Centre, for example registration sessions for the Biometric Residence Permit.

How can I guard against fraud?

From time to time, scammers may specifically target international students by pretending to be the Police, Visa issuing authorities, education agents or other regulatory bodies. It is important to be able to recognise common signs of fraudulent activity and know what to do if you come across it. The best way to protect yourself from any kind of fraud is to protect your passwords, regularly update your devices with the most up to date security software and never share your bank details or transfer money to an account you don’t recognise.

Make sure you tell a teacher or a member of student services team if you receive a suspicious message or phone call, or if you have any concerns about fraudulent activity. It is important that you let us know as soon as possible so that we can help to protect you and other international students in case they are targeted in the same way.

Work after study

You will have the opportunity to start your career in the UK with a two-year post-study work visa for international students graduating from UK universities.

Find out more

How can we help?

Apply online directly through us and benefit from our completely free guidance and support, including access to your own dedicated Student Enrolment Advisor.

What we offer

Campus map

Find your way around the University of Sussex campus

When you arrive at the International Study Centre

The International Study Centre staff have prepared academic introductions and social events to help you settle in, so it's essential you arrive on time for induction. Start exploring campus and adjusting to your new life by:

  • discovering all the facilities you will be able to use, such as study spaces, the library, gym and student services
  • learning your way around campus so you are on time for classes
  • registering for a doctor 
  • locating the Students' Union.

Your first week will be packed full of fun and useful activities to help you settle in to university life.

Questions and answers about life in the UK

Learning a new language can take some time, so try not to worry if your English language skills need improvement. If you don’t understand someone, people will be understanding and happy to repeat themselves. Over time you will become confident and comfortable with speaking, writing and reading in English.

Brighton is a hugely multicultural city. You can easily find international food in supermarkets, as well as in the food shops on campus. There are also lots of restaurants which serve food from all around the world, so you can enjoy meals that remind you of home - as well as possibly discover a new favourite cuisine!

Moving to a different country to study is an exciting experience, but it is also natural to feel a little nervous as you prepare to leave home. We will do everything we can to help you settle in so that you can be comfortable and happy living in Brighton and the UK.

If you are experiencing homesickness, our friendly and supportive tutors and staff are always available to help. There are also a whole range of support services available at the University of Sussex, where you can get free and confidential advice.

Once you join us at the International Study Centre, you can take advantage of two great schemes organised by the University of Sussex Students’ Union:

  • Language Café – practise your language skills and make new friends
  • Buddy Scheme – settle in to student life faster by partnering up with a supportive student at Sussex.